Often when I’m searching for dragonflies, I first start with a telelens, either my 300mm or the 70-200mm with a 1.4x or 2x converter. That way I don’t have to get too close to the dragonfly and I can get some shots at least. When I have got these shots, I switch to my macro lens to get the proper shots. However, sometimes that isn’t the best way to approach the situation. Last weekend we found some spreadwings and I started straight away with my macro lens. That turned out to be a bad idea. As it was warm enough the spreadwings had enough energy to fly away when I even got a little close. And there weren’t a lot of them… So after chasing them for a while, I decided to change back to my 70-200mm with 2x converter, so I could keep my distance. This turned out to be a good idea. With this lens I have to keep at least 1.2m distance, which didn’t scare them. In the end I found a Migrant Spreadwing that found some nice leaves to rest on. I like decided not to place the damselfly too large in the frame, in order to get a bit more of the leaves in the picture. I really like that the picture only consists of different shades of green.
I hope you like it too.